Your very own Agua Fria Harriers competed in their very first cross country home meet for the 2018 season. Race time temperature was around 106 degrees and numerous owls completed their very first 5k!!!
The boys and girls competed against Copper Canyon and Paradise Honors, as well as one lone freshman from Canyon View high school. As this is Canyon View’s first year of having a cross country team. Their lone runner now holds his very own school record!
This year the girls team swelled to 18 athletes from 12 last year. But there are only 3 returning athletes to the team from the previous season, meaning a lot of new faces on the team. Our girls end up taking 2nd to a talented and experienced Paradise Honors team. There is a lot of raw potential with this young team. I am excited to see what they can accomplish by the end of the season.
Some notable performances,
- Junior Riley Roberts led the lady owls with a 7th place overall finish in her first every cross country meet.
- Karen Tena Carranza, Mary Elizabeth Hughes, Jennifer Lopez. Samantha Lopez, Neesa Chase, and Vivianna Martinez-Romero rounded out the rest of the varsity roster.
- With Karen being our only returning varsity athlete, it was nice to see a bunch of new athletes step up to the challenge.
They boys have definitely made big strides from last year. The work the varsity runners put in the off season is definitely showing. The guys took 2nd out of 4 teams, but I think we have a state qualifying team in the making!!! They boys team this year is bolstered from the addition of some talented new seniors and freshman.
Some notable performances,
- Senior Ismael Hernandez, Senior Alex Montano, and Freshman Oscar Gonzales, led the boy teams with 6th, 7th, and 8th places respectively.
- They were joined by J.J. Murillo (10th place), Isaac Gomez (12th place), Tayshawn Steward (13th place), and Noah Irvine (19th place) to complete the varsity squad.
- The owl gents were the first team to get all their scoring runners across the finish line which proves their depth. Our top 5 runners all finished within 47 seconds of each other!!!
- Senior J.J. Murillo, and Sophomore Jacob Crofford both ran times faster than any of their marks from last year. That is a crazy impressive thing to do to start the season!
Special Thanks To:
- All the faculty who came out to cheer on the runners. They really appreciated it!!!
- Coach Espinoza, Coach Miller, and all the parent volunteers who made the meet an organized and rousing success!!!
- Coach Huff and the JV football team who gave the lady owls one heck of a rousing send off to their first race!!!
Our next home meet is a couple weeks away (9/18) so I will keep you all posted. Have a great night!!!